Tor Books is heading to San Diego Comic-Con!
Once again Tor (Booth #2707) continues our wildly popular *in-booth signings and giveaways, offering you a chance to meet your favorite authors up close and personal and pick up free books. We’ve got a great line up including appearances by: V. E. Schwab, Thomas Olde Heuvelt, Mary Robinette Kowal, and more!
For excerpts, a spotlight on our newest authors, panel schedules, giveaway times and much more, please visit torforgeblog.com. And make sure to follow @TorBooks on Twitter for up to date information and last minute events.
- 1:30pm – 2:30pm Nerd Trivia Challenge: Author Edition, Horton Grand Theatre
Nerd Trivia Challenge is a one-hour game show featuring three teams of today’s biggest authors competing for the chance to be the champions of nerdy knowledge. Authors V. E. Schwab (A Gathering of Shadows), Patrick Rothfuss, Pierce Brown, and more test their knowledge of everything from Marvel Universe characters to Harry Potter. Moderated by Brandon T. Snider.
- 2:00pm Tor Booth (#2707) Signing: Thomas Olde Heuvelt, HEX
- 3:00pm – 4:00pm Fantasy Mixology: The Perfect Literary Cocktail, Horton Grand While the average happy hour involves a bit of gin, rum, or vodka, these authors mix things up with witches, demons, giants, ghosts, Celtic gods, and other magical beings. Top-shelf authors Paul Cornell (Witches of Lychford), Mary Robinette Kowal (Ghost Talkers and The Glamourist Histories), Kevin Hearne, and more discuss the ingredients that go into making your favorite fantasy cocktails. Moderated by Petra Mayer from NPR.
- 3:30pm – 4:30pm Autographing Area, Table AA07 Signing: V. E. Schwab (A Gathering of Shadows)
- 5:00pm – 6:00pm Autographing Area, Table AA07 Signing: Paul Cornell (Tor.com, Witches of Lychford) and Mary Robinette Kowal (Ghost Talkers)
- 12:00pm Tor Booth (#2707) Signing: Paul Cornell, Tor.com, Witches of Lychford
- 2:00pm Tor Booth (#2707) Signing: Madeline Ashby, Company Town
- 2:30pm Spotlight on Seanan McGuire, Room 24ABC
This panel has traveled from Australia to Ireland, and now it’s coming to San Diego Comic-Con! Part Q&A, part stand-up comedy, part serious discussion, the only way to know what will be said is to show up and ask questions. For this one-hour period, Seanan McGuire (Every Heart a Doorway) will answer anything you care to ask her (although, as a warning, the answers will rarely be as simple as might be expected). There may be prizes for particularly good questions, depending on how much room she has in her suitcase.
- 3:00pm – 4:00pm Sweet Dreams Aren’t Made of These: Horror and Thriller Authors Bring Your Nightmares to Life, Room 29AB
Authors in the horror and thriller genres are more than just talented writers. They have to be masters of psychology, understanding what makes us most terrified and portraying worlds and scenarios that strike at the very core of our deepest and darkest fears. Thomas Olde Heuvelt (HEX), Del Howison, Amy Lukavics, and more as they discuss the best ways to scare you.
- 4:30pm – 5:30pm Science Fiction/Future Now, Room 26AB
Science fiction has ever been the muse of real-world advances, but now ideas can be achieved almost as soon as they are thought up. So how do writers, out-dream the dream makers? How do writers handle the truth of real science and the fiction that is needed for writing their stories? Is it a crisis for the writer’s imagination? Or does it serve to inspire? Join Madeline Ashby (Company Town), Javier Grillo-Marxuach, Sherri L Smith, and more in a roundtable discussion as they take this subject on.
- 5:00pm Tor Booth (#2707) Signing: Mary Robinette Kowal, Ghost Talkers
- 5:00pm Autographing Area, Table AA09 Signing: Thomas Olde Heuvelt (HEX)
- 6:00pm – 7:00pm The Annual International Association of Media Tie-In Writers Awards Panel, Room 28DE
Max Allan Collins, co-founder of the IAMTW, hosts this year’s Scribe Awards for excellence in tie-in writing, including honoring this year’s Grandmaster Award “Faust” winner, Timothy Zahn. Panelists Adam Christopher, Nancy Holder, Jonathan Maberry, and more engage in a freewheeling look at one of the most popular and yet underappreciated branches of the writing trade.
- 12:00pm – 1:00pm The Female Geek: Women as Fans and Creators, Room 7AB
Featuring: Madeline Ashby (Company Town) There’s more to being a geek girl than meets the eye. From Princess Leia, to Katniss Everdeen, to Hermione Granger, fandom is full of awesome female characters-but what about the women who create these iconic individuals? Leigh Bardugo, Sabaa Tahir, Kiersten White, and more discuss feminism and fandom in a panel moderated by Madeline Ashby (Company Town).
- 12:00pm Tor Booth (#2707) Signing: Claudia Christian and Morgan Grant Buchanan, Wolf’s Empire: Gladiator
- 12:00pm Tor Booth (#2707) Signing: Seanan McGuire, Tor.com, Every Heart a Doorway
- 1:30pm – 2:30pm Autographing Area, Table AA09 Signing: Madeline Ashby (Company Town)
- 2:00pm Tor Booth (#2707) Signing: V. E. Schwab, A Gathering of Shadows
- 2:00pm – 3:00pm Worldbuilding: Creating Realistic Fantasy Settings, Room 9
Words are important. But how are they made? Claudia Christian (Wolf’s Empire: Gladiator), Seanan McGuire (Tor.com, Every Heart a Doorway), and more discuss how they set the stage for their stories and explore the dos and don’ts of building a living, breathing world for their characters in a panel moderated by Cindy Pon (Serpentine).
- 4:00pm – 5:00pm Autographing Area, Table AA09 Signing: Seanan McGuire (Tor.com, Every Heart a Doorway) and Claudia Christian (Wolf’s Empire: Gladiator)
- 9:00am – 10:00am Autographing Area, Table AA09 Signing: V. E. Schwab (A Gathering of Shadows)
- 3:45pm – 4:45pm What’s Hot in Young Adult Fiction, Room 5AB
Strong protagonists, engrossing romance, humor, action, and angst! Join us for this popular annual chat about the hottest new titles and trends in YA fiction. Moderated by Nathan Bransford and featuring Victoria Schwab (A Darker Shade of Magic), Renee Ahdieh, Victoria Aveyard, Michelle Hodkin, and more.
*All Tor Booth signings are on a first come first serve basis and while supplies lasts. Limit one book per person.
You Might Also Like